Classical Art

Such a thing for classical art at the moment which is kind of strange considering we've been getting into installation and conceptual art at school (which I'm enjoying too) but I really admire strong technical skill probably because of my lack-of and because I think I understand now how hard it really is to be a good painter. Plus my little obsession with women in art and perception of beauty rah rah rah is all over classical paintings. The first few pictures are from a blog I found called Classical Art Blog and the others are from tumblr.
The Swing, 1767 Jean-Honoré Fragonard
Mäda Primavesi, 1912 Gustav Klimt
Portrait of Helene Klimt, 1898 Gustav Klimt
(How absolutely beautiful is this?!)
And  a few miscellaneous painting I found on tumblr...
Christina’s World, Andrew Wyeth
I can't remember exactly what this one is but it's about a golden apple that only the most beautiful goddess could have so three of them fought about it until Aphrodite bribed that guy who's name I can't remember to say she was the most beautiful in exchange for the most beautiful woman on earth but it caused a war and shit went down. Wow I sound really um cultured and sophisticated? non? (edit: The Goddess of Discord Choosing the Apple of Contention in the Garden of the Hesperides. 1806, J. M. W. Turner)
Vanity Frank Cadogan Cowper 
Moonlit Seascape 1902 Thomas Moran
(love the light in this, so dramatic and ~tumultuous~)
Flowers in a Vase Jan Davidsz de Heem

No comments:

Post a Comment